Last week, Battlefield: Hardline was delayed to the first quarter of 2015. This decision showcases Electronic Art’s dedication to releasing quality over quantity; however, this affects other titles that are currently in development at DICE Studios.
Indeed, Hardline may delay our chance of jumping into X-Wings, and exploring a galaxy far, far away in Star Wars Battlefront.
DICE is the primary developer on the Battlefield franchise responsible for the launch, and post-launch content, but the studio has expanded recently into new genres. At Electronic Art’s E3 2013 Media Briefing, the publisher revealed that Star Wars Battlefront was in the beginning stages of development, shortly after Electronic Arts and Disney signed an exclusive, multi-year licensing agreement. At the same briefing, Mirror Edge 2 was finally confirmed and is expected to release in 2015.
As we reported earlier, Electronic Arts counts on Battlefield yearly, and hasn’t hidden the fact they want an annualize first person shooter series. Previously EA has opted to spin off the Battlefield franchise, which originated Medal of Honor, but after poor commercial, and critical success the series was canceled. This time around, Star Wars Battlefront is taking the spot of Medal of Honor.
During an investor call, EA Studios EVP Patrick Soderlund told investors that Star Wars Battlefront is currently in the midst of being development, and doesn’t need to rely on the movie.
“ So you know that what we’re building is more rooted in the traditional Star Wars universe, and not necessarily linked to the movies being made. Obviously there will be things in there that are somewhat tied to the new movie. I wouldn’t say that we have a particular tie to the movie. Now, obviously we would prefer to be close to the movie, but I wouldn’t say that [the release date is] directly tied to it,” said Soderlund.
According to Gamerant, Star Wars Battlefront is expected to release during the summer of 2015. This would immediately clash with Battlefield: Hardline and limit its potential reach at launch. Hardline’s yearly cycle would dramatically be shortened compared to previous installments, a fate that EA would likely avoid. While I do appreciate Patrick Soderlund enthusiasm, until we have a firm release date on Battlefront, it would benefit Electronic Arts enormously to re-launch the franchise during the lead-up to Star Wars: Episode 7.
Currently the film is currently slated to come out on December 18, 2015, but could be pushed to 2016 due to the injury suffered by Harrison Ford, the actor behind Han Solo. It could potential be pushed back 2016, and continuing the tradition of releasing in the month of May. Previous entries in the Battlefront franchise launched during the fall months after the movie episodic installments, providing it can stand on its own from the movies.
Do you agree with my theory? Let me know in the comment below.